VAWA Immigration: Are You Eligible?

The immigration scope often tends to be broad and complex, with several options. However, one specific option that seems particularly complicated is the VAWA Immigration. From understanding the ropes to determining your eligibility, this immigration option can prove to be a handful, especially if you are new to the entire concept. 

That said, this article will explain everything you need to know about VAWA immigration, such as its benefits and simple ways to determine your eligibility. 

What Does VAWA Immigration Entail? 

Firstly, VAWA is an acronym for the Violent Against Women Act of 1994. It is a law that allows spouses and children of abusive US citizens to apply for immigration and special reliefs separate from the abusive person. This immigration type is accessible by both men and women, and it is a strategy adopted to help victims escape abusive relationships. Of course, there’s often no compensation enough to overwrite the trauma and emotional stress that accompany abuse. However, VAWA tries to make up as much as possible by offering residency and protection to such victims.

Who Can Apply for VAWA Immigration? 

Determining eligibility for VAWA immigration is often conceived as one of the most complicated aspects of immigration. But in reality, it can be pretty straightforward if you understand the concept. Here are the various eligibility statuses and qualifications for VAWA immigration. 

  • Spouses: The first set of people who qualify for this immigration option are spouses of abusive US citizens or permanent residents. If you are married to a US citizen and you have suffered abuse at their hands, then you can apply for and take advantage of the benefits of VAWA immigration. You do not necessarily need to remain married to the abuser at the time of the petition. However, you must provide proof that you are either an intended spouse, a current spouse, or a former spouse to the accused.
  • Children: Next, the dependent children of abusive parents who are citizens of the United States are also eligible. This means if you are a child of a US citizen or permanent resident, and you have suffered abuse at their hands, then you can apply for the benefits and protection of VAWA immigration. Note that you must be 21 or under to petition for this option. However, there is an allowance for people under the age of 25 if you can prove the abuse is the reason for the delayed petition. 
  • Parents: This particular eligibility status can apply in two ways. First, if you are the parent of an underaged child abused by their other parent who is a US citizen or permanent resident, then you can apply for VAWA immigration for you and the child. On the other hand, you can also apply for this immigration option if you are an older parent of a US citizen, and you have suffered abuse at their hands. 

Note that only foreign citizens belonging to any of the listed categories are eligible to apply for VAWA immigration. 

How to Apply for VAWA Immigration 

The VAWA immigration is partially linked to family-based and humanitarian immigration but is a more comprehensive option. For example, unlike the typical family-based immigration that requires a US citizen or lawful permanent resident to file a petition on behalf of noncitizens, VAWA allows qualified persons to petition for themselves. This is a deliberate move to free victims from their abusers who may intend to manipulate or intimidate them by threatening to withhold their petition. 

That said, VAWA immigration is an absolutely incredible opportunity and a viable option for qualified persons to get citizenship. However, the fact that it is self-petitioned makes it slightly more complicated to process. However, it becomes much easier if you understand the ropes and know how to go about it. To that end, here’s an outline of what you need to self-petition for VAWA immigration. 

  • Proof of Qualifying Relationship: The first thing you’ll be required to provide is proof that you indeed qualify for this immigration status. This means proving that you are either the spouse, child, or parent of the abusive US citizen or permanent resident. 
  • Proof of Citizenship: Next, you’ll be required to prove that the abusive partner or relation is or was a lawful citizen or permanent resident. In case your abusive relative is dead or has lost their citizenship, you’ll still be eligible to file for VAWA if you can prove they were still a lawful citizen at the time of the abuse. 
  • Proof of Abuse: The VAWA immigration law states it covers people who have suffered or are suffering from battery or cruelty. However, the option covers victims of a wider range of abuse, such as:
  • Emotional abuse or torture 
  • Threats of violence or terror 
  • Threats of deportation or related blackmail 
  • Sexual abuse 
  • Intention to forcefully control 
  • Proof of Residence: This is basically evidence showing that you live or have lived with an abusive citizen or permanent resident at any time. 
  • Proof of Character: Finally, you’ll need to prove that you are s person of good character and moral standing. In addition, you may be required to validate that your marriage to a US citizen or permanent resident is in good faith. In other words, you’ll need to show that did not initiate the relationship for the purpose of evading immigration laws. 

The Coleman Law Group Can Help You 

As you can see, the process of applying for VAWA immigration is not as easy and straightforward as it sounds. So, the best way to approach your application is to partner with an experienced immigration lawyer from the get-go. This move will help ensure you have a qualified representative guiding you through the process. Luckily, the Coleman Law Group has all it takes to help you get the best from your VAWA claims. Moreover, you can always count on us to help you find solutions to all immigration-related problems. 

You May Also Like

También te puede interesar