skip to main content
What's the value of your case?
Call now for a FREE case evaluation

The most Frequently Asked Questions
from accident and injury victims

I was just in a car accident and I don't feel hurt. Should I still contact a lawyer?

Yes, even if you don't initially feel pain, it is always best to contact a lawyer. Here at Coleman Law Group, we can set you up with a FREE consultation so you can have all your questions answered. You have not financial obligation at this time because we only get paid if your auto accident case receives a settlement.

How does the insurances claims process work?

Even the safest drivers can have accidents. At the scene of an accident, you'll likely take a few key steps, calling the police and exchanging information with any other drivers involved, etc. When it's time to file a car insurance claim, it's helpful to know what information you need to provide and to understand how your auto insurance coverage works. Do NOT file your insurance claim until AFTER you have spoken to a car accident lawyer. Every insurance company handles its claims a bit differently, but many of the steps are similar, expect the insurance company to ask coverage specific questions, possibly ask for a prerecorded statement, and primarily try to protect their client, and not represent your interests. If you have been hurt, you will need to schedule a visit to a Doctor or Chiropractor. Don't wait, there are critical time elements involved.

What happens if the person who hit me doesn't have insurance?

Uninsured motorist (UM) accidents happen a lot and can ruin a PIP (personal injury protection) case if you don't have the right insurance. Without Uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy, there may be no insurance company to cover the damage, and any vehicle damage could end up as an out of pocket expense for the victim. It's always a good idea to check if you have the necessary coverage before anything happens.

Is a police report necessary?

YES. A police report is very necessary as it is reported evidence that an incident actually happened. Many insurance companies require a police report to even start a claim.

What does 10/20/10 mean on my insurance policy? Is that the best coverage?

The numbers 10/20/10 on your car insurance policy represents the monetary limits on your liability coverage. The first number, 10, stands for $10,000. This is your maximum coverage for bodily injury liability for one person injured in one accident or incident. The second number, 20, stands for $20,000. This is your maximum coverage for bodily injury liability for all persons injured in one accident. The third number, 10, stands for $10,000. This is your maximum coverage for property damage liability in an accident that you caused. This is a very basic, affordable coverage. Making it very common, it is however not the best available insurance. There are higher policy limits that may give you more protection for all future accidents.

My slip and fall accident happened at a family members house. Am I going to have to sue them to take care of my medical bills?

This will depend on the Homeowner's insurance for the home in which the injury took place. Since most homes have Homeowner's Insurance policies that cover against these sorts of accidents, it is more likely than not you will be able to go through the insurance company.

What needs to be proved to win a slip and fall case?

In a slip and fall case, the victim must prove that the property owner was either negligent in allowing dangerous conditions or themselves caused dangerous conditions that resulted in your injury. For more information, click HERE.

Should I set up an insurance claim before or after speaking with a lawyer?

Always speak to your personal injury lawyer before proceeding with any insurance claims. If you need a 100% free case evaluation, please don't hesitate to ask. Click HERE to get your questions answered. We are here for you.

How should I act in the immediate aftermath of an accident?

In the immediate aftermath of a car accident the most important thing is to make sure you are safe! Once you have secured safety, it is crucial you call the police, take pictures of all cars that are damaged, and exchange information with the other driver(s). Some other mistakes to avoid during and after a car crash are available HERE.

I have heard Florida is a "no-fault" state. What does that mean?

Simply put, a no-fault state means that drivers are responsible for the damage to their vehicles and their own medical bills. This does not mean an injured driver cannot sue the at-fault party. Contact us if you have question on a personal situation. We are more than happy to talk with you.

Are commercial semi-truck accidents different then car accidents?

Yes, because large commercial semi-trucks have special regulations that they must follow. Different safeguards are put into place to try and prevent accidents caused by these 'monsters of the road.' Some of those precautionary measures include, but are not limited to, weight limits, driver rest periods and speed protocols. Therefore, we treat truck accidents special and make sure we know the laws and rules to get you the best results.

Where can I find the special regulations that commercial, semi-truck, vehicles must follow?

Special regulations exist for commercial, semi-truck, vehicles in Florida. The Office of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement (CVE) is the Governor's designated lead agency responsible for commercial vehicle operations in Florida. Their website contains valuable information and can be found by clicking on this link:

Why do I need an attorney if I have been injured in a motorcycle accident?

Motorcycles are perceived as dangerous and often stereotypes are placed on the drivers when motorcycle drivers are just as careful as other drivers on the road. However, injuries sustained on a motorcycle are often dire and may even result in death. Therefore, a prompt investigation of your motorcycle accident needs to happen quickly to preserve valuable case evidence. At the Coleman Law Group, we are motorcycle accident lawyers who understands the nuances of this legal niche and we will fight to get you the most compensation for your motorcycle injuries.

What do I do if I or a family member have been involved in a motorcycle accident?

First, seek medical help. The chance for dire injuries to occur in this type of collision is large. Be thoroughly evaluated by a medical professional. If able, call the police and file a report. Don't fill out an insurance claim without first talking with your lawyer to go over the details of the accident, discuss who is at fault, and deal with any questions you may have.

Will a consult cost ME anything upfront?

Coleman Law Group offers free case evaluation for ANY car accident, motorcycle accident, truck accident, or slip and fall case. If we take on your case, we only get paid if you do. So, NO, a Personal Injury Case Evaluation cost nothing up front, and you will only be charged if your case is involved in a monetary settlement. It cost $0 to make sure you are OK after an auto accident.

How is the value of my case determined?

You should be consulting with a physician after your accident. Once the physician determines the permanency of your injuries, they will provide us with a final report. We will then review and analyze the physician's findings; we will look at the totalities of your injuries and the policy limits to assist us in determining the settlement amount to request from the insurance company. Settlements are generally higher for more severe or permanent injuries. However, one of our main objectives is to make sure you are made whole again and we will do our very best to get you the compensation you deserve.

What happens if the insurance company doesn't want to settle?

This is a regular occurrence. This is simple, we file a lawsuit.

100% Free -
Unless We Win
Call now

Contact Us!

Submit your contact information and you'll hear from us within 48 hours.

Office | (877) 822-9292