All auto accidents are ugly, and no one wants to be in them. But then, truck accidents are often much uglier and devastating. Moreover, they usually leave victims with severe and disabling injuries that might even be life-threatening. The worst part about all these is that most of the casualties in large truck accidents are passenger-vehicle occupants and motorcyclists.
According to a recent report by the IIHS, about 84% of truck accident casualties are passenger-vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. This means you don’t necessarily have to own a truck to be in such accidents. Fortunately, you can negotiate for a fair settlement anytime you are involved in a Tampa truck crash. And a good attorney will help you make this happen.
Perhaps you are yet to be in a Tampa truck accident. Well, in that case, it would still be a good idea to have a truck accident lawyer in Tampa on your speed dial. Doing this will help prepare you so that you don’t get overwhelmed and confused when you get in such accidents. This article will discuss more important reasons why you should contact a truck accident lawyer today. Please ensure to read to the end.
What are the Leading Causes of Truck Accidents in Tampa?
Of course, the city of Tampa has witnessed many pretty ugly truck accident occurrences over the years. While we can quickly point out the ever-busy roads as one of the major causes, there are other contributing factors. Some of them are listed below.
- Driver Fatigue. Some truckers are fond of driving for long hours, regardless of the strict hour-of-service restrictions that govern truck drivers.
- Driving under the influence. Indeed, Tampa road safety and truck laws do not tolerate driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. But then, some truckers still take these things before getting behind the wheel. This is dangerous because it can impair the driver’s cognitive abilities, ultimately leading to an accident.
- Distracted Driving. Driving an enormous 18-wheeler truck requires utmost care and concentration. Otherwise, you might just be getting yourself into an accident. Unfortunately, some truckers might get distracted by their phone, radio, other road users, etc. A truck accident might be around the corner when this is the case.
- Impatience. Truckers are supposed to be the most patient drivers on the road. Maneuvering large trucks in traffic isn’t as easy as driving cars or other vehicles. Safely driving a truck takes a lot of experience, concentration, and patience. When a trucker becomes impatient on the road, he is likely to run into other vehicles and cause accidents. This is especially true for the Tampa busy roads.
- Excessive Speeding. This is one of the most common causes of accidents across all vehicle types on the road today. When over-speeding, it is often difficult for drivers to maintain complete control of their vehicles. Thankfully, Tampa road safety laws have set specific speed limits for all truck types. But then, some truckers are fond of going above these limits, often leading to accidents.
Top Reasons Why You Should Have a Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer on Your Speed Dial
We have established that truck accidents can be pretty dangerous and devastating. However, a good personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the situation and get an adequate settlement for your damages. Here are some important reasons why you should contact a truck accident lawyer today, especially if you live in Tampa.
The Insurance Company does not Want to Pay Your Full Compensation
One of the first things you should know about truck accident settlements is that insurance companies often do not want to pay your full compensation. So, they are always willing to explore any window that will protect them from paying you. This is why it is always best not to sign any document in a truck accident case until you have discussed it with your injury lawyer.
You should note that the insurance company is always out to protect their interest. So, the offer they are giving you will likely not reflect the actual cost of your damages. Moreover, if you hurriedly sign the document, you have signed away your right to take the case to trial.
However, a good lawyer will help calculate the true value of your damages and negotiate a fair settlement for you. They are also ready to take the case to trial if the need arises.
Multiple Parties May be at Fault for the Accident
One unique thing about truck accidents is that several parties are often responsible. Some parties could include the trucking company, the truck driver, a mechanic or maintenance company, another road user, etc. However, the good news is that a motorcycle accident lawyer will help you investigate and determine all the parties at fault for the accident.
Perhaps you also have some faults in the truck accident. In that case, your injury lawyer will investigate how much fault you have in the accident. After that, they will negotiate a fair settlement for you. This is according to the percentage of your fault in the accident.
They Understand the Tricky Trucking Regulations
Another reason you should have a truck accident lawyer on your speed dial is that they understand all the complicated regulations that guide truck driving and truck accident cases. Since truck drivers are employees who often have to work on the clock, they must adhere to specific road rules. You sure can bet your penny that these rules are pretty complicated. For example, some of them include the following:
- Maintaining necessary qualifications
- Keeping up with yearly inspections
- Tracking scheduled maintenance
- Logging hours and rest periods, etc.
Truly, most truck drivers try to be careful and responsible on the road. However, many accidents still result from truckers not keeping to these laws. For instance, many accidents in Tampa have happened because truckers didn’t rest well enough before getting behind the wheel.
You can rest assured that your truck accident lawyer understands all the complicated trucking laws in Tampa. So, they can quickly investigate and prove that a driver has disregarded some of them in an accident case.
Truck Accident Lawyers can Also Help You Recover Non-Economic Damages
People often only think about medical bills anytime the issue of accident settlement comes up. But then, the truth is that truck accident damage compensation involves more than just the hospital bills. Indeed, having a lawyer who knows this fact on your side will help boost your chance of getting an adequate settlement. And this is another reason why you should have a truck accident lawyer on your speed dial.
Your lawyer should be able to negotiate a settlement for your medical bills, missed opportunities, and other economic damages from the accident. However, that is not all. A good lawyer should also be able to negotiate fair compensation for emotional distress, pain and suffering, and other non-economic damages from the accident.
You Don’t Have to Worry about Giving Out the Wrong Information
Often, when an accident leads to expensive damages, insurance companies begin to call you multiple times, asking for more details. However, the truth is that they are more concerned about gathering evidence that the accident was your fault. So, they hope you will say implicating things when they call.
Thankfully, though, you do not have to deal with them directly. Instead, you can have them call your lawyer for any information they need. This way, you no longer have to worry about giving out implicating information.
Truck accident scenes can be pretty ugly and devastating. You sure do not want to get involved in such situations without being prepared. Well, one of the best ways to get prepared for such unfortunate situations, especially in Tampa, is by having a truck accident lawyer in Tampa on your speed dial.
Moreover, Coleman Law Group is always dedicated to helping you handle your truck accident claims. So don’t hesitate to contact us now, and let’s discuss how to help you win the case!