On February 13, 2021, the Clearwater Police Department and Clearwater Fire and Rescue were called to the scene of a devastating car accident: a vehicle was submerged in a pond, near the intersection of State Route 580 and McMullen Booth Road in Clearwater. The 22-year-old driver of the car, unfortunately, did not survive. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family of the victim of this crash. Losing a loved one unexpectedly is shocking and heartbreaking, and the effects of a loss are far-reaching.
Many accidents over the years have occurred near the intersection of SR-580 and McMullen. This most recent incident reminded locals of similar events nearby. After last weekend’s crash, one nearby resident told Fox 13 News that he had “seen probably about anywhere from 10 to 20 bad accidents here at this one intersection.”
Florida State Route 580 is a 28-mile commuter route from Dunedin in Pinellas County to Temple Terrace in northeastern Hillsborough County. It has a number of names depending on the location.
- Skinner Boulevard
- Main Street
- Tampa Road
- Hillsborough Avenue
- Busch Boulevard.
Accidents on SR-580 occur on a daily basis, causing devastating injury and death to drivers, passengers, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Some of the recent major accidents on Interstate 580 include:
- October 12, 2020: A 27-year-old Orlando man was fatally struck by an SUV on State Route 580, east of George Road, in Hillsborough County.
- July 9, 2020: An 18-year-old motorcyclist was seriously injured when a vehicle making a U-turn turned into the path of his bike at State Road 580 (W Hillsborough Avenue) and Hoover Boulevard.
- December 25, 2019: A woman was critically injured after being hit by a car while trying to cross SR 580 east of Webb Road in Hillsborough County.
- April 22, 2018: A woman was tragically killed in a solo-vehicle crash on SR-580 near Charles Avenue.
- December 18, 2016: A motorist playing “Pokemon Go” on a cell phone near the intersection of State Road 580 and County Road 1, veered off the roadway and struck two pedestrians on a sidewalk.
Anyone involved in a State Route 580 accident is well-advised to speak with a knowledgeable and reputable Clearwater personal injury lawyer. Do not provide a recorded statement to your insurer, or accept any compensation offer without first speaking to an experienced and reputable lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries or loved one’s wrongful death. However, it may be difficult to recover the maximum compensation you’re entitled to without an attorney advocating for your rights to compensation.
Causes of State Route 580 Traffic Accidents
One of the most common causes of car accidents in Florida is distracted driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2.841 people were killed in distracted driving accidents in the U.S. in 2018. Other causes of car accidents include driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, speeding, or operating too fast for weather conditions. Less frequent causes of Florida vehicle accidents are dangerous road conditions and vehicle manufacturing defects.
Get a Free Consultation For Your Florida Car Accident Case
Anytime a vehicle accident is caused by a negligent party, accident victims and their loved ones may pursue a personal injury claim. The Coleman Law Group is here to answer your questions. We provide a free consultation to discuss your potential case and evaluate your legal rights. To talk to a member of your team about your potential case, call us at 727-214-0400.